By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have resulted in battle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, family members breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable rules are nonetheless well known and pervasive--in truth, they may impact your individual pondering with no your knowing it. the following with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes each one of those evil books by means of its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you are going to learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince used to be the foundation for an extended checklist of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on strategy "proved" God's life basically by way of making Him a production of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan ended in the assumption that we've got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may possibly win the award for the main malicious e-book ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past strong and Evil issued the decision for an international governed exclusively through the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf used to be one of those "spiritualized Darwinism" that debts for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa grew to become out to be a construction of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male used to be easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, stunning, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area bargains a brief schooling at the worst principles in human history--and how we will stay away from them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Similar conservatism & liberalism books
We need to cease Obama's radical schedule. Now. We needs to act earlier than President Barack Obama absolutely implements his radical political time table. simply because after Obama has gained his struggle on prosperity and canceled the struggle on terror, it is going to be too past due to regain our liberty or our defense. here is the reality approximately Obama and his radical regulations: he'll spoil our wellbeing and fitness care method in order that not anyone will get sufficient care.
Problems with democratic precept and shape have been of significant value within the pre-1914 socialist, exchange union and hard work events. this can be the 1st exact research of that discuss, which headquartered round socialists of the British Radical culture, the Fabians, and the autonomous Labour occasion management, and which displays at the present argument over democratic buildings and electoral reform.
This leading edge quantity brings a variety of best political theorists to the wide-ranging debate on multiculturalism and political legitimacy. via concentrating on the problem to mainstream liberal thought posed by way of the surge of curiosity within the rights of minority teams and subcultures inside of states, the authors confront concerns reminiscent of rights, liberalism, cultural pluralism and gear relatives.
The expansion of neo-liberalism has been the dominant political strength long ago twenty years. This quantity concentrates on figuring out the political economic climate of neo-liberalism. It specializes in many of the most crucial matters and examines the essence of neo-liberalism, particularly, the dominance of the marketplace.
- The Best Worst President
- Blood in the Sand: Imperial Fantasies, Right-Wing Ambitions, and the Erosion of American Democracy
- They Knew They Were Right: The Rise of the Neocons
- Liberal Modernity and Its Adversaries
Extra info for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
Which is the most egregiously fantastical fiction? Is it that our natural condition is one of war? Is it that, in our natural state, everyone is governed by his own reason (meaning, for Hobbes, that each person acts like a cunning, ruthless Machiavellian)? Is it the assertion that primitive human beings naturally and easily resort to cannibalism when they run out of coconuts? ” It is hard for us to spot the fatuity because “rights” talk has largely overtaken our public and political discourse, rudely shoving moral speech out of the way.
The certainty of intelligent life on Mars was trumpeted (with the aid of businessman and amateur astronomer Percival Lowell). Books were published. Major newspapers declared the evident certainty to the astounded (and gullible) public. Helping to whip the public into a frenzy was alien enthusiast H. G. Wells, whose War of the Worlds seared into people’s minds the dire fate that awaited Earth once the Martians stopped boating around their canals and launched their inevitable attack. By 1930, this certainty was exploded by another astronomer, E.
They have a world to win. ”15 48 10 BOOKS THAT SCREWED UP THE WORLD There are, of course, important differences with Marx. , “the arts”) caused our misery, then the only way to progress was to go backward, to recreate as best one could the condition of the undeveloped human animal, shaking off the artificial chains of society and returning to the purity of nature. For Marx and Engels, by contrast, the progressive conquering of nature and the stages of society that arise from it lead forward to a peaceful, communistic utopia, where technology provides an Edenic existence in which no one has to labor.
10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help by Benjamin Wiker